Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DIY Shenanigans

If you don't know, DIY stands for Do It Yourself. Like I said last post, I don't know for sure if it is because of the baby or what, but I have been having ridiculous urges to create things and start projects. So after looking at a bunch of baby crib bedding online I decided I should just make it myself. However, after looking at all the patterns for sheets/bumper etc. I thought that this might be a little to ambitious (also, Target had major sales :). So I ended up deciding to make the crib comforter. Thankfully my mom was also eager to help with the project.

We started a couple weeks ago at the ole fabric store. Like I said, I had already gotten the sheet and bumper on major clearance from Target, so I knew the colors that I wanted. There were SO many cute flannels at the fabric store, I think we were there for probably two hours :) In the end I found exactly what I wanted. Karissa even got in on the piecing action. This project actually ended up taking more work than I anticipated.> Mostly because the pattern we were following turned out to be wrong! I got it out of this Amy Butler book, and don't get me wrong I heart this gal's fabrics, but she must not know much when it comes to patterns. So after we had cut everything out some of the blocks were about a half inch off. This was a set back, but we made it work :) Mom ended up doing most of the pinning/organizing, and I did all of the sewing.

The finished project was definitely worth all the work. The quilt is so soft, and I just know nudger is going to love it. Plus, since I got to pick out all of the fabric it matches the bedroom perfectly. Here we are with the almost finished product.

And here is the comforter all finished in the crib.

I had some scraps left over so I made these little bed bugs :) I think they are pretty darn adorable.

Now I'm just trying to decide what to make next. I am so tired of winter and being cooped up, but am definitely having fun preparing for this little babe :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Marcie, home ec really paid off for you! All I remember is that day we had to clean the desks because we gleeked and got in trouble. Apparently, you paid more attention. :) Super cute and I LOVE the bed bugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! oh the gleeking :) thats hilarious, the desks were seriously covered, how nasty is that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. adorable bed bugs!!!! You are SO crafty! You could SOO sell those things at etsy.com !!!!!!!! NO JOKE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! You're so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that you got to make it your own unique style. AND I too, love the bed bugs! Well done. All we need now are more pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...